Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Supermarket Secrets

I have posted links below for an excellent 2 part documentary on industrialized food done by Channel 14 in the UK. As far as I can tell from the video, British supermarkets are just like the ones in America and Australia, so the information likely applies to all of us. All of us Anglo cultures that is - not all cultures have embraced the methods of our food industry - the "wow" moment for me came when they showed a supermarket in Spain. You'll see what I mean if you watch the videos. In the videos you'll learn why organic fruits and vegetables cost more (it's not because it cost more to grow organically), why the meat we eat has higher and higher levels of fat (it will blow your mind when you see how much fat is in a modern chicken), and a host of other interesting (and frustrating) facts. After watching this I really feel like I am a much more informed food shopper. Enjoy:

Supermarket Secrets part 1

Supermarket Secrets part 2

No comments:

Post a Comment